Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Snow Day

We had an ice/snow storm and school was canceled today. I worked from home, and it's times like this that I'm thankful for Giant Ass Bank's flexibility. The older kids had a fun day - I was glad to see them out playing in the snow, even Hollywood was outside sledding and having fun. I was glad they didn't spend the day in a Play Station or MySpace trance...

Unfortunately, Bumblebee was cooped up inside because we left her snow pants at her babysitter's house. She tried to go out with sweatpants on but was just too cold. Being confined with her all day was about as much fun as my annual gyno exam. She was like a kitten on speed - zipping all over the house, creating a giant mess everywhere she went. And she didn't want to listen to anything I said. It wasn't pretty. And it really frightens me that we have to get on an airplane in two days with her. I'm hopeful that the novelty of a plane ride will at least occupy her for a while. I'm picking up an armload of I Spy and Where's Waldo books from the library and am hopeful that they will occupy at least fifteen seconds of her time.

We're heading out to San Francisco this weekend for my brother's wedding. I think the entire family is cursing the couple for choosing to get married halfway across the country 10 days before Christmas (he's the only brother of mine who doesn't live in the Midwest), but it will be a nice time to get the family together. Hollywood is a bridesmaid and Bumblebee is the flower girl. I'm some sort of commanding officer - supposedly I'm in charge of telling people what to do when it's time to do something. That should be interesting!

I did some online Christmas shopping today. Turns out I can't even control my urge to shop for myself even while I'm online! That's pretty pathetic. I bought myself 3 books. Oh well. You can't fault someone for buying books. At least that's my story.

I'm running again... shorter distances to keep my hip from screaming at me. It feels good to be back on the saddle. Or the treadmill...

Well, that's about all I can blabber on about for now. I'm on one of my late night conference calls for work and it's making me itchy that I can't be curled up in bed right now... I'm sure the pot of coffee I had to keep me awake this late will do wonders for my sleep when the call finally ends.

10 comments:

Jenster said...

I love San Francisco! You guys will have a blast. I am impressed that you're not wigging out about having to go away this close to Christmas. Really impressed.

So are you going to share the book titles with us???

Monnik said...

why yes, I'd love to share the titles! I pre-ordered Jess Riley's Driving Sideways, and purchased Eat Pray Love and Love in the Time of Cholera

Monnik said...

Oh, and Jenster? Who said I'm not totally FREAKING OUT about going on a trip this close to Christmas?!??!!! I totally am.

Andrea said...

A small part of me wants it to snow... but the bigger part of me (like my bum that never gets warm in the winter) wishes it was still 70 degrees like it was on Tuesday.

What books did you get? And did you ever get your hip checked out?

Andrea said...

ok. just read the comments. I'm such a dingbat. the hip question is still valid, though!

Jenster said...

Oh well. They have really good wine in San Francisco. It's great for the nerves. :o)

DuJane said...

Hope you're having fun in San Francisco!

Swishy said...

YAY for Jess Riley! LOVE HER! One of the funnest girls you will ever hang out with. I need to read Eat, Pray, Love ... I hear it's great.

My friend's sister gets married halfway across the country two weeks AFTER Christmas ... all these crazy couples ;)

Manic Mom said...

Another book you MUST pre-order is Unpredictable by Eileen Cook, which comes out in Feb--she's awesome too, just like jess!

Oh, and don't forget to pre-order mine.... BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Oh yeah. Would be helpful to get a freaking book deal first!

Happy holidays girlies!

Mama P said...

"Giant Ass Bank's flexibility"??? Monnik, you make me laugh out loud. Thank you for that. Keep us posted on the wedding!

Eat Pray Love... great book. A bit long toward the end for my taste, but so many wonderful insights. I still think about it almost every day. That says something.