Thursday, December 27, 2007

Christmas Recap

Christmas was great this year. I usually bemoan the fact that I have a thousand things to do at Christmastime, and this year was no different. In fact, it was worse because of the trip to San Francisco for my brother's wedding.

For some reason, this year didn't actually stress me out as much as it usually does. I have no idea why. Maybe it was because I folded under pressure and bought the kids the super expensive electronic gifts that they wanted instead of taking the time to search for something more thoughtful and less trendy. One year, Hollywood begged and BEGGED for these stupid electronic pets called a Meowchi and a Poochi. I spent forever looking for the damn things, and spent a fortune on them when I finally found them, and she played with them for about two hours before she lost interest. Seriously. I was not pleased.

So, in light of that, it's been a rule of mine not to give in to their demands for for electronic gadgetry. Until this year. Hollywood wanted an iPod Nano Video. The Boy wanted a Nintendo DS. They got them because I didn't have the time to think of something better for them. And, of course, they loved them. At least with a DS and an iPod I know they'll get used - more use than I want them to, I'm sure. I told The Boy that he had to read for an hour for every hour of video game time he spends. Since he loves to read too, that wasn't a terrible rule.

But anyway, back to the fact that I didn't feel stressed out this year. It was really great! We had Christmas with my side of the family on Sunday. The early afternoon was spent at my dad and his wife's house. 15 people were crammed into a small living room watching the Packers/Bears game on tv. My brother is a Bears fan. My husband is a Packers fan. The Packers got KILLED by the bears in an ugly, ugly game. The Husband showed an amazing amount of good cheer and didn't get mad and mopey about the loss. My brother was a good sport and didn't cram the win down TH's throat.

We moved on to Mom's house afterwards and spent the time drinking wine, eating too much food, and playing games. It was a really fun time. On the way home, The Husband said, "I married into a family of real squirrels. But I couldn't love them more." Which is one of those backwards compliments. But I knew what he meant - my brothers are a bunch of squirrels. It's hard being the only normal one.

We went to mass at a tiny church on Christmas Eve. I wish I'd have taken a picture of this church. It had eight rows of pews (one on each side of the aisle). Each pew fit six people max, so it was a very small church. And it was so pretty and charming - it really made the evening special.

On Christmas Eve before we sent the kids off to bed, Bumblebee set out cookies for Santa and reindeer food for Rudolph and his friends. In the morning she ran into our room and said, "Mommy! Santa ate all of the cookies but one! He must have gotten full!"

I asked her if he'd brought her presents, and she said she didn't know. She'd only ran out to the living room to check to see if he ate the cookies. (There were new toys all over the living room left by Santa, so she really must have been on a mission to check out those cookies only!)

I let the dog outside in the front yard while the kids were checking out their Santa booty. While Merlin was outside, she ate the reindeer food and left a nice yellow pee spot in the snow.

When it occurred to Bumblebee to look outside, she saw that the food was gone and that there were tracks and a pee spot in the snow and she exclaimed, "The reindeers ate all of the food! AND they peed by it!"

"EW, Daaaad!" Hollywood said with disgust. The look on her face cracked me up. She was convinced that it was The Husband who peed out there - she didn't know I'd let the dog outside.

We spent Christmas day with The Husband's family and spent the afternoon eating and drinking and hanging out. It really was a nice time. There was way too much food and drink. I actually felt queasy and thought I might not keep all that food down, but in the end, I managed not to get sick. And, as usual, I vowed not to let myself become a gluttonous fool at the next holiday gathering. We'll see how well that promise sticks.

3 comments:

Mama P said...

Your Christmas does sound like mine - minus the sports. No one in my immediate family likes sports. I'm lucky in a way, but it's also hard, because men don't talk much to begin with, so there's not as much to bond the penis toting crowd. Ah, well.

I wish also I had gone to mass. I feel bad about it. That's my vow next year.

And to buy a navity set.

Happy New Year, dear Monnik!

Mom In Scrubs said...

What a lovely holiday - and the "reindeer pee" was great.

JM tried to get the kids to leave smokies and a beer for Santa. But the kids didn't want Santa driving drunk, so he got cookies and milk.

Rudolph got a Red Bull. Ha ha!!

Swishy said...

So glad you had a good time! I love your reading/video game rule ... you are so smart. And the pee thing! SO FUNNY!