Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving Recap


Two posts in one day! Can you tell that I don't want to work today? By using company time to write another blog post, I'm protesting the fact that I have to be in the office when everyone else in the country is shopping or putting up their Christmas tree.

We had a lovely Thanksgiving dinner yesterday. We hosted it at our house this year, because the Packers were on TV and The Husband didn't want to miss out on the game. We had family from both sides come over - my mother in law brought one of TH's brothers, and another one came with his family. My mom and three of my brothers joined us as well. I think there were 17 people there. Enough to fill the house and the tables, but not too many to make me crazy and worry about my hostessing duties.

I made the mistake of having two or three (or was it four?) glasses of wine before dinner. This meant that I threw caution to the wind and ate at least 33,210 calories at dinner. But it was a fun time, and that's what counts.

The men were all downstairs watching football. (Way to go, Packers!!! 10-1, baby!) Which left the women - my mom, my mother in law, my sister in law, Hollywood and me all hanging out in the kitchen. With the wine. It was nice.

Highlights of the day:
  • Getting help from The Husband without any grumbling. He really did make the day a breeze by helping me with a few of the last minute things that needed to be done.
  • Getting advice from my mom on how to prevent a hangover so that I could come to work today. "Drink Gatorade," she said. "It really works." I sent Mom home with a big old bottle of Gatorade herself.
  • Reminiscing with my mother in law about the first time we met - which was a nerve wracking situation for both of us.
  • Chatting with my sister in law about her life - getting to know her better.
  • Welcoming Hollywood into the sisterhood of the kitchen on holidays. It was nice having her there, but she probably heard more than she bargained for.
  • The food was good, the company was even better. We have a lot to be Thankful for.
  • Ending the day by watching two Tivoed episodes of Project Runway with a sleeping Bumblebee on my lap to keep me warm. Mabel (the new cat) joined us after she was certain that Hollywood was completely asleep and wouldn't be harassing her.
Thanksgiving is such a nice holiday. Low pressure, good food, family, and wine. Who can ask for more?

6 comments:

Mama P said...

Oh, that sounds so awesome. There's something about Thanksgiving and the common threads among kitchens across the country. It's just cozy and nice. (And the wine doesn't hurt either, eh?) Good for you!

Andrea said...

It sucks that you have to work today! I hope it goes quickly for you!

Swishy said...

That sounds like a wonderful day!

Devin said...

Hey there, my husband travels too so I appreciate your blog. I enjoy reading it!

Jenster said...

Sounds great! And teaching a daughter how to avoid a hangover is every mother's purpose, isn't it??? lol

Glad you had a great Thanksgiving!

Mom In Scrubs said...

Calories consumed on a holiday don't count...

JeepMan's family usually goes down better with a few glasses of wine, too. But for different reasons.