Saturday, November 10, 2007

The Next Stage (Not a Wells Fargo Ad)

Is it possible? Could I really be on the verge of a new stage of parenthood? Just as I passed the breastfeeding stage, the waking up four times a night stage, and the diaper stage, I am on the cusp of moving out of the MINIVAN stage.

We are trading the minivan for a car - possibly today, but definitely within the week. That's right, folks, a regular old midsize sedan. No more sliding doors that whack like thunder when a kid slams them too hard, no more 19 miles per gallon nonsense, no more soccer mom stigma. (Well, maybe that one won't go away. I am what I am, after all...) No more trouble pulling the van into a compact sized parking space; No more loud, bumpy ride; No more tossing things into the far back of the van hoping that the kid who is sitting there catches the item so they don't have to unbuckle their seatbelt to retrieve it.

I have owned a minivan since I was twenty-five years old. My brothers made fun of me when I got my first one, but they are convenient as hell when you have kids to run here and there and everywhere. We still have kids that we have to run all over the place, but we've decided they can sit three abreast in the back seat. Gas prices have helped us with this decision.

I'm excited to be moving past this stage... there's no bittersweetness in this one. The minivan has defined me for almost 10 years. But now I can be a car girl!

5 comments:

Jane said...

Ooooh, that is exciting! Do you know what kind of car yet?

Travis Erwin said...

I saw a shirt in Vegas that said, I Think Soccer Moms Are Hot.

This psot made me think of it, but of course if all the soccer moms trade off their minivans there will be no place to sneak off too during those long practices.

Monnik said...

ha! Travis, that's funny.

Jane, it's a Kia Optima. Nothing fancy, but it does have leather interior and a moon roof. Which, for me, is about as tricked out as it gets. :)

Jenster said...

Exciting!! We went from minivan to mid-size SUV and sometimes I greatly miss my minivan...

My next car is going to be a two-seater convertable BMW.

Mom In Scrubs said...

Funny...we are just moving INTO the minivan stage. It will probably be our next vehicle, and I SWORE I would never buy one. So much for that! Congratulations!!