Saturday, November 3, 2007

Mabel

The Husband and I took the family out to dinner last night. We ate at a BBQ restaurant and had a nice time. Bumblebee is old enough to behave herself while out to dinner, so taking the family out to eat isn't the torture that it once was. We had some interesting conversations while there. At one point TH was teasing Hollywood that we almost named her Mabel, Gertrude, Bertha, Eunice, etc. She didn't really believe us, but it was funny.

Guess who was waiting for us when we got home? Our favorite stray cat. The Husband thought it was probably a wild Tom. The entire family (except for me) went out to greet the annoying little thing. As they bent down to pet it, I saw it rubbing up against TH's legs, and it was purring. Then it raised it's front paws and put them on TH's leg to stretch. That's when we found out it was declawed. TH picked it up and verified that 'it' is a 'she'.

They all turned to me, asking me if we could let her inside. The Husband seemed to be the most influential: "She chose us!" he told me. My heart of stone softened to a less hard stone, something porous that is easily eroded. If it weren't for the fact that she was declawed, I'd have been strong in my refusal to let this poor thing inside. But I saw her across the highway yesterday morning, which means she's risking that pretty little neck of hers by darting across traffic, and she's been begging to get inside our house since last Tuesday. Without claws, she can't defend herself against other animals... I'm still leery, though. Why was she lost? Did she run away? If that were the case, she wouldn't be far from home - our neighborhood is fairly isolated and is only two blocks of houses surrounded by miles of cornfields. But what if she was dropped off intentionally on Beggar's Night because she's a naughty cat - one who pees on the couch or barfs in the hallway so that you step in it on the way to the bathroom at night?

Even with these doubts, I begrudgingly told the family that she could come in temporarily. But we'd have to create flyers and send them around the neighborhood seeing if anyone lost her. She was obviously someone's cat... How did she end up in our neighborhood?

So the family immediately assumed that means we get to keep her. I suppose we will if nobody claims her and if she doesn't turn out to be an evil, horrible cat... They decided to name her Mabel, after our conversation at the BBQ joint. Bumblebee keeps calling her 'Maple' - which is almost a cuter name... She's been checking out the place, got a nice meal in her belly, and has Merlin and Jazzy all stirred up. Last night she tried to sleep in our bed. Uh-uh, no way... I tossed her onto the floor, so she cuddled up next to Bumblebee in her bed all night.

She really is a sweet thing. I'll be sort of sad if someone claims her... But don't tell my family that.

Jogging update: Today was my scheduled "long" run of 6 miles. Wednesday I slacked off and didn't run, so I made up for that run yesterday. I did 3 miles on Thursday, and the makeup 3 on Friday. Today I got on the treadmill to do my long run, and my legs responded with an emphatic, "Hell no!" I only got two miles in. Guess my legs aren't ready for three consecutive running days, especially when the last day is my long run. That'll teach me to screw up my schedule by being lazy... I'm bummed. But I will start fresh this week and hopefully I won't be lazy again.

9 comments:

WebGal said...

Awww! Yay! I'm so happy for Mabel. I was going to ask you to check and see if she was declawed.

Tiff said...

Hee! I knew you'd end up with another cat in your house!

Mom In Scrubs said...

Declawed, excellent.
But is she spayed? (I would hope if someone went to the trouble of declawing, they would do the spaying first) Wonder if she has one of those pet-chips?
My cat ran away when I was about 8; the neighbors adopted her and I never even knew until about 7 years later! She was happy in her new home, and Tiff's cat didn't bug her anymore. It was the best thing for her...

Cmommy said...

Hey, I am impressed by anyone who runs. You know how people dream that they can fly? I dream that I can run! :-)

Andrea said...

Diddo on what Mom in Scrubs mentioned about the spaying.

I thought about pointing out last week that it seemed the cat chose you guys, but I know how I'd feel if I were in your shoes. :) Sorry you had to take on a new cat, but I'm happy for the cat and your family.

Swishy said...

You are soooo good with the running! I have been horrible lately.

Swishy said...

You are soooo good with the running! I have been horrible lately.

Jess Riley said...

Oh, I think you should keep her! What a wonderful family she'd have. :)

(I LOVE the pet names of Hollywood and Bumblebee, by the way. :-)

And good on you with the running! I've been "cross-training" lately; if the weather wasn't getting so crummy, I'd love to be outside running, too. Perhaps in spring...

Jenster said...

I thought I'd already commented here, but apparently I was making it up.

I LOVE the name Mabel! Much better for a cat than a kid. lol