Wednesday, November 28, 2007

A Little of This and a Little of That

The Husband called me this morning to tell me that he came upstairs to find our dog with her head stuck in a box of cookies. She almost knocked over the Christmas tree while she was thrashing around the living room, trying to get it off. What a stupid mutt! The Boy had just fed her too! Apparently she wanted a dessert of almond crescent cookies to finish off the Dog Chow.

I must remember to throw the cookies away tonight when I get home. I can just see myself reaching into the box absent-mindedly while watching tv. Uh, like I did while I was watching The Biggest Loser last night. Not a great choice of mine to have a box of cookies next to me while that show was on. It would be even worse to do it now that the cookies have dog slobber on them.

**

So I've started running again after taking a two week break to heal my hip. My first run was Saturday - I did only 2.5 miles, and it felt really good. I ran again last night, and only did 2 miles, but this morning my hip is in bad shape again. This makes me crazy! I'm not supposed to get injured when I've been taking it slow and easy. I suppose it means I have two choices: I can quit running entirely or go to a doctor to see if there's anything they can do to help me get over this hip pain. It's times like this that I want to wail like a two year old and yell "It's not FAIR!!" Because it isn't. It sucks. All I want to do is become a good runner. Hell, I'll take becoming a mediocre runner. I know I'll never win any races - that's not what I want. I want to be able to consistently run a base of 15-20 miles per week so that I can maintain good aerobic health and eat cookies while I watch tv shows and not grow an ass while I do so. I'm in good health and should be able to do that! Wah. Enough whining.

**

Last night I stopped what I was doing and listened to my surroundings. For a moment a really nice warm, toasty feeling came over me. The dishwasher was running, which meant that the kitchen was clean. The washing machine had a load of towels going, and the dog was snoring on the floor next to me. I heard Hollywood downstairs listening to music while she did her homework. The Husband was in his workshop watching Modern Marvels. The show was about the history of pigs. In Bumblebee's bedroom, I heard The Boy reading her a Scooby Doo story. I paused to listed to these sounds and it dawned on me that things can be pretty damn good sometimes.

**

I do this goofy thing with the kids where I sternly call out their names - first and middle - so it sounds like they're in real trouble. When they come to see me, I try to act like an angry mom and then I sternly demand a hug. Bumblebee almost always catches on, and says "HUG" as soon as she hears me yell out her name. Last night The Boy actually thought he was in trouble when I did it to him. Which makes me wonder... was he up to something or did he have a guilty conscience?

**

Hollywood got to go over to her boyfriend's house last night for a while. He'd gotten her a birthday present, but since she's been grounded, they haven't been able to hang out together, so he hadn't given it to her yet. She came home and showed me the present - great big "diamond" earrings and a teddy bear. Oh, to be 14 again and get gifts from boys... (Wait - when I was 14 boys ignored me because I was a scary mess of chubbiness, bad hair, and orthodontia.)

**

I took the kids to see the movie Enchanted over the weekend. It was fabulous. All three kids enjoyed it, and when you have kids whose ages span 10 years like mine do, that's a tough assignment! Patrick Dempsey is so darned... well, for lack of a more creative word... DREAMY, that it's hard to take your eyes off of him. This is the first movie that Bumblebee actually sat through and watched the entire thing. I give it an A+. Definitely worth seeing.

**

I started reading a very interesting book last night. It's a new one - now the two half-read novels sitting next to my bed have a companion. It's called Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. It started off with a great voice, and so far it's fresh and interesting. I'd have read longer, except that I wanted to get to bed at a decent hour so I wasn't late today.

That sort of worked. I got in at 7:20. Which isn't quite on time, but it's closer. AND my hair is neatly styled and not in a ponytail. So we're making progress.

**

Well, that's about enough random rambling for one post. Happy Hump Day!

9 comments:

Andrea said...

If your hip continues hurting this week, you may want to go ahead and get it checked out...

And I love stopping to take in my surroundings. It reminds me that things are good, too. :)

Travis Erwin said...

Enchanted has gotten rave reviews on half the blogs I read. BEtwene you poeple and my wife hounding me I guess I have no choice but to go see the movie.

Rick said...

You sound like my wife and our dog. She's had a love/hate relatioship with that thing since we got her. One time, our oldest daughter left a whole box of chacolate candy bars that she got from school for a fund raiser, and left them on the floor of her bedroom. The dog found them, of course, and proceeded to down almost the entire box. That was not the end of the "tail". I think she stayed outside for a entire day because of what was coming out of both end.

Eating cookies while watching the Biggest Loser? Funny.

http://organizeddoodles.blogspot.com/

My Semblance of Sanity said...

I LOVE the hug shout out!
I may try that tomorrow!!

Mom In Scrubs said...

Why don't you take a trip over to PH and see my sister? She might be able to help you with your hip!! Whenever I get hip trouble it is usually because I need adjusted. (and my sister needs patients, too!)
Enchanted was most excellent. The whole family LOVED it!

Jenster said...

Hahahaha on eating dog slobber cookies while watching The Biggest Loser!

I'm very sorry about your hip. I still think any running that's more than a few steps is great, though! Someday my knees are going to be all better and then I'm going to start running.

The history of pigs is a modern marvel??? Who knew??? There really is such a thing as domestic bliss, isn't there?? :o)

I do stuff like that with my kids, too. Stuff like say to them in a stern mother voice, "I'm sorry, but we're going to the movies. You can just forget about doing your chores. It's not all about you, you know." They always follow with something like, "Gosh! You're so mean! Why can't you be like other mothers!?" Apparently I am. lol

Hollywood's already getting the bling! Good for her!!

I wanna see Enchanted.

I wanna read a good book.

I wanna have hair long enough to put in a ponytail.

Mama P said...

I really want to see Enchanted, too. It looks so good. I'm out of touch, because I didn't know until today that Patrick Dempsey was in it. Sigh... He isssssss dreamy.

I love what you said here: "I paused to listed to these sounds and it dawned on me that things can be pretty damn good sometimes."

And finally, I'm doing some humor things this week on Babycenter. Is it okay if I link your blog in my post? I like the thing about calling your kids as if you're mad, but then you ask for a hug. It is a great way to diffuse tension and keep the spirits light. Attitude really is everything in my book. (If you don't want me to link you, I won't be offended, but let me know! Drop me a note here or at my blog.)

Swishy said...

You're better than I am ... ponytail again today! I did do it yesterday, though.

I am going to see Enchanted this weekend!

Mama P said...

I will link you at some point today at Babycenter in the Momformation section. Might be on the late side, but it'll be there. Thank you for the great entry!