Thursday, October 25, 2007

Toddler Theology

I guess Bumblebee is no longer considered a 'toddler' but I love alliterative titles, so I'm sticking with this one.

Bumblebee started religion class about a month ago. She loves it, partly because they basically hang out and do arts and crafts and singing, but also because it's the first activity that she gets to go to for herself. She's been dragged along to her brother and sister's sporting events, band concerts, school events, etc. since she was born. This is something she gets to do for herself. And she really seems to enjoy it.

I will admit, I haven't done a lot of foundation laying when it comes to religious education. We have bible story books that I've read to her, and we go to church. But we don't do a lot of talking about God and religion. So whenever she comes up with a good nugget like the one last night, I know it's her own mind drawing conclusions and not her parroting something I've said before.

Last night we were laying in her bed and I'd just read her bedtime story to her. She was chattering away, and was supposed to be quiet and settle into sleep. She just couldn't do it, though. She kept squirming and chattering away.

"Bumblebee, it's time to be quiet and go to sleep. Stop talking now." I sternly said.

She thought for a moment and said, "It's my brain that makes me talk, isn't it?"

I nodded and shushed her.

"Mama, I need to tell my brain to stop talking. Right?"

I nodded again.

"Mama?" she asked.

I didn't answer - I was keeping silent in the hopes that she'd follow my example.

"Mama. We're kind of like robots since our brains tell us what to do."

Silence from me still, but I was smiling now.

"And God is the owner of all of the robot people in the whole world, since he made us."

I had to give her props for that thought, so I gave her a big hug and told her to go to sleep.

I think it's interesting that she's thinking about God as our maker and how if our brains tell our bodies what to do, we're like little robots that God has around to do His work. And really, in a way, isn't that what we are?

Interesting thoughts.

5 comments:

Jenster said...

Smart little girl!!

I had a religious talk with my son last night. I told him, "Taylor, Jesus wants you to unload the dishwasher."

Guess what I'm getting ready to do. Unload the dishwasher.

WebGal said...

Has she been reading Scott Adams' blog? :) He calls humans "moist robots" all the time.

Swishy said...

That is so cute! I love it.

Andrea said...

How precious! I love how simple children make spirituality/religion.

Travis Erwin said...

That is some very good reasoning on her part.

Cute story.