Sunday, October 21, 2007

Sometimes the Weekends are More Exhausting than the Weekdays!

I'm beat. It's 6:43 p.m. on Sunday night and I'm sitting in bed with my laptop. When I'm done writing this post (and uploading my weekends' pictures) I will likely read my book (The Boleyn Inheritance a juicy Tudor-England period piece by Phillipa Gregory) and go to sleep.

This weekend wore me out! Friday night was fairly uneventful - I did a little bit of work, some laundry, and I can't remember what else. My memory is so bad - you'd think Friday was years ago for as much as I remember about it!

Saturday was busy - I spent the morning working for a while followed by cleaning out the garage. What a mess that was - and it was all my mess, left over from when I was working on refinishing the table. Later in the day, The Husband took The Boy to the Iowa State football game, while I took the girls shopping. We went out to find a dress for Hollywood - she's a bridesmaid in my brother's upcoming wedding. We didn't find one. But we did find her a nice suit for her mock trial even that's coming up in a few weeks. The mall exhausts me anymore. Especially with the girls. Bumblebee was so well behaved, though! She was a trooper as we watched Hollywood try on dress after dress after dress. She kept freaking out other shoppers by popping out from behind the three way mirror in the dressing room and shouting "Boo!" And then she was dancing and singing some High School Musical song that I didn't know she knew the words to.

Saturday night I did some laundry and tried to get to sleep early so that I could be rested for the race I had this morning. But Hitch was on, so Hollywood and I watched it while I cleaned up my room - another large task. I don't know why I can't just hang my clothes up or put them in the laundry room. I keep the rest of the house in fairly good order, but our bedroom gets to be a complete pig sty, and then it stresses me out! After Hitch, that old Goldie Hawn/Kurt Russell movie Overboard came on tv, so I watched it for a while. The part where Kurt Russell is wearing that cutoff t-shirt and he puts his thumbs into the sides of the shirt, revealing his pecs... Nice. Even with his 1980 style, he's yummy.

Ew - I used the word 'yummy' to describe something other than food. That reminds me of a play I was in when I was in junior high. Y'all didn't know I was theatrical, did you? Anyway, the play was about a bunch of princess sisters, but I totally don't remember the plot. I don't think it had a very memorable one to begin with, but we are at the mercy of my memory here, so of course that means that I've got nothing. I do remember that we had to wear old bridesmaid or prom dresses as our costumes. I played the sister-princess who said everything was 'yummy'. It was a terrible play, and the casting director (aka our drama teacher) chose me for the yummy part because I was chubby, and it makes sense that a chubby gal would call things 'yummy', right? Groan, that is soooo embarrassing to think about, even now. I was such a dork!

Sorry, minor digression. So this morning we ran our race. Hollywood and I joined my brother and sis-in-law to run the 5K that was being held at the Des Moines Marathon. The Half Marathoners finished as we were finishing the 5K and those guys were smoking by us. That's a pretty humbling experience, and I didn't think I could BE much more humble when it came to how I perform while running. It was a fun race, and I think that I beat my time from the race we ran two weeks ago. Here's a shot of us after the race. (Picture order is Hollywood, me, my brother E, and my sis-in-law K.) It was K's first 5K and she was nervous, but she totally smoked my ass at the end of the race. Which I knew she would - look at her legs! She's athletic and I'm not. But I'm cool with that. I, being the veteran racer that I am (my first race was 2 weeks ago), felt calm, cool, and collected before the race. It's why I had to hit the porta potty three times before we even started!


After the race, we came home, showered up, and headed to my MIL's house for lunch and a trip to the pumpkin patch farm. Here are some pictures of that - it was fun!

All of the kids (including my nieces and nephew):


Hollywood in front of the 'how tall this fall' pumpkin sign (holding up a 5 and a 1 because she's 5'1")


Bumblebee being buried in corn in the cornbox:


The Boy shooting out of the slide - it looks painful but he came off that thing laughing:


Me standing by the 'how tall for fall' sign:


After the trip to the farm, we headed back to my MIL's for pie and ice cream, and then headed home. I took a nice hot bath and am now sitting in my bed. Cozy, warm, and super sleepy... I wonder if I can stay awake until 8 p.m.

5 comments:

Swishy said...

Cute pictures!! Sounds like a great (busy) weekend ... GOOD FOR YOU on the 5K!!!

Jenster said...

May have been a busy weekend, but it sure sounds like fun!

I'm cracking up at Bumblebee going "boo" to people behind the mirror. That's funny!!

You're making me want to get my knees fixed so I can run. I love the feeling of running - you know, when you hit your stride. There's nothing like it.

So have you read the other Tudor books by Gregory? I still have The Constant Princess and The Boleyn Inheritence to read. Let me know how you like it!

Mom In Scrubs said...

Congrats on the run - you're my hero!
We did the pumpkin patch here this weekend too - looks very similar. Will send you some pics!

Monnik said...

Jenster, I've read The Other Boleyn Girl, The Virgin's Lover, and The Queen's Fool. I love her stuff. Easy to lose yourself in for a few days. Then, it's over too soon.

Jenster said...

Those are the books I've read! LOVE. THEM.

Oooo. You're making me want to read the next one.