Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Tables, Finances, etc.

The table is done. Sort of. I've been working on refinishing it forever and we finally moved it into the house last night. It looks pretty. I wonder how long it will take my kids to trash three months of hard work on the stupid thing. My guess is that it'll have its first sizable gouge by the week's end.

Here at Giant Ass Bank (as I'm sure it is everywhere in corporate America), the week after a 3 day holiday weekend is brutal. Especially when you have five days' worth of meetings crammed into four days of work. I just want to yell, "People - get off my back!" But I can't. Because that would be unprofessional or something.

I revamped our budget and savings plan last week and shared it with The Husband. He was actually quite receptive to it, even though it cuts his spending cash by $20/week, and basically puts us on a spending freeze for major items over the next two years. We've been spending a lot of money lately, and so it's time to reevaluate the finances.

I saw a great phrase somewhere, maybe on Dave Ramsey's website -are you ready for it? Here it is:

Act Your Wage

Isn't that great? In the spirit of my resurfaced goal of fiscal responsibility, I went to the library today and got some books that promise to teach me how to get by on less so I pay down the debt and increase my savings. I'm not sure what it will teach me, but it might get me in the 'save money' mindset. Example: a key to saving money in my house is making a list of what I will make for dinner each week, buying only the ingredients for the meals on that menu, and sticking to the menu during the week. When I take the time to do this, I get the following benefits:
  • I don't end up running to the store to buy a gallon of milk and walking out of there with $45 worth of impulse buys.
  • My family gets a week's worth of balanced, healthy meals instead of pizza or a bucket of chicken.
  • I only have to brave the store once a week.
Sounds like a plan, eh? The hard part is sticking to it.

1 comment:

Swishy said...

That is such a good plan! Good for you. I went through my checkbook and everything this morning and am trying to do kinda the same thing.