Saturday, September 8, 2007

The Secret Potty

Last night I was hanging out with Bumblebee and the neighbor girls. We were outside in the yard and Amy and Megan's mom came by to tell me she and her husband were going to take a walk.

Pretty soon, Bumblebee was doing her "I have to pee" dance. You know the one - she clamps her hands over her privates and alternates legs to hop on. I will never understand why that child waits until the very last second possible to go to the restroom. She never has any wiggle room when it's time to go, which makes things interesting sometimes when we're out and about. Let's just say that Bumblebee does not share my disgust of public restrooms.

But last night, we were at home, so it was no big deal. She started running up the deck stairs but sometimes has trouble with the door into our sun room, so she was calling at her friends and me to help with the door.

Her friend Amy said, "Hey Bumblebee, why don't you just use your secret potty? It's closer!"

A little warning bell went off in my head, but I pushed it aside as I ran up the steps to open the sliding glass door for her.

A few minutes later, after she'd safely made it to the bathroom and all was well, I remembered Amy's comment and asked Bumblebee what this 'secret potty' business was about. She looked at the ground. Then she looked back up at me with big eyes.

"I just sometimes use a different potty." She said.

"Is this an outside potty?" I asked.

She looked at Amy and Megan. Because they were there, she had no room to fib. They'd bust her. But she wanted to tell me a fib... I could tell.

"Yes." She said.

"Show me the secret potty." I demanded.

"I just go over in the grass." She said.

But Amy was quick to jump in. "No, you have to show her the REAL secret potty."

Bumblebee looked up at me, her lip was quivering at this point. "Will I get in trouble?" She said.

I knew this was going to be good. "That depends upon what you show me."

I didn't know what to expect as she led me around to the back of the house by the patio. This is what she pointed to:


This is a Little Tykes basketball hoop. It's got a base at the bottom that you can fill with water or sand for stability:


Apparently, you can fill it with pee too. You know, if you're too busy playing with your friends to actually go inside to do your business.

5 comments:

Travis Erwin said...

Very inventive ... gives new meaning to the term double dribble.

Mom In Scrubs said...

Try to look at the bright side:

...Probably it's just for pee.

Prairie Chicken said...

'I'm going to have to share this one with my sister. Never mind why!!

Angie said...

That is heeeelarious!!!!
That's the first story to make me laugh out loud in days.
Saw your post on Manic - glad I came and read.
Angie :)

Swishy said...

OH. MY. GOODNESS. I am DYING right now, absolutely DYING!