Sunday, September 23, 2007

Decisions, Decisions

So I finally got the word I was waiting for. I got an offer for that job I was interviewing for. It's great news. But I'm trying to decide what to do.

Here are the pros of the new job:
  • More money
  • More creative job - working on a very well known home decorating and garden magazine's website instead of Giant Ass Bank's site.
  • Along the lines of creativity - projects and ideas would not be governed by the compliance officers who have to sign off on every idea at GAB. 'The sky's the limit with ideas' I was told by the new company.
  • They have a fitness center in the building.
  • The team is full of young, creative, professionals. (My current department, outside of my small team, is full of white haired, grumpy old men.
  • This company promotes women - something my department within GAB is known NOT to do.
  • Working for a magazine publisher could (someday, somehow) help with my writing goals.
  • Did I mention it's more money?
The pros of my current job:
  • Awesome team to work with.
  • Great boss.
  • Flexibility to come and go as I need to. (with TH traveling as often as he does, I need this flexibility)
  • This one is the 'devil that I know'
  • I'm already known at my job for my knowledge of the systems I support. People refer to me as the 'web guru'. It can't be bad to be a 'guru' right?
I'm going to talk to my boss on Monday and ask if she can counter this offer. But then I still need to decide what to do. If she were to match the salary, then what? I really just don't know. If she won't match the salary, then I will take the new job. Because even though it's not all about the money, I obviously work outside the home to earn a paycheck. So, if I'm going to be away from my kiddos anyway, I should be enjoying a bigger paycheck. However, the flexibility issue is a huge one. I need to discuss this with the hiring manager at the new company. I currently work 7am - 4pm. I really need this schedule because of after school activities that my kids have. It's not the normal working hours for the new company, so I'm not sure how that would fly. And I want to make sure I can work from home if I need to. If I don't have that flexibility, then I'd have a really tough time accepting the new job.

So. See? Lots of questions. Any suggestions or ideas?

5 comments:

WebGal said...

I know how hard this decision is since I just went through the same thing. The only advice I have is follow your gut instinct. And...more money is always nice. :)

Samara Leigh said...

More money is definitely nice. However, it sounds like the flexibility is a big issue so be sure to iron it out and get it in writing before you accept the new job. It's funny how things got lost in translation after the fact.

Either way, best of luck!

krobzoo said...

Congrats Nik! And good luck with your decision. I know several people who have left my company for that one...they didn't come back - so it must not be too bad. But yes, the flexibility thing is critical.

krobzoo said...

Congrats Nik! And good luck with your decision. I know several people who have left my company for that one...they didn't come back - so it must not be too bad. But yes, the flexibility thing is critical.

Jenster said...

It seems to me that the big thing is the flexibility. If the new company will agree to your schedule then I say absolutely go for it!

You're in a great position - you have the luxury of having a choice. Good for you!!