Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Slogging

I'm beat. I just finished my 30 minute run. If I'm feeling truthful, I should call it a slog (slow jog).

I've been keeping with the program (Coolrunning.com's One Hour Runner Program), and I have to admit that I feel pretty awesome for sticking to it. But here's a great big dose of humility for me:

On Sunday we were graced with gorgeous weather. The program had me running 41 minutes for my 'long' run, so I asked Hollywood to join me outside. I normally run on the treadmill, but couldn't pass up the fall-like weather. We ran along a route that took us past 3 miles of nothing but cornfields. It's kind of cool, but please, don't do the math - I know 3 miles in 41 minutes is incredibly slow running. Before we left, Hollywood said, "I'll never be able to jog that long without stopping" I told her that was no problem. We'd stop if she needed to.

She stopped to walk a few times while I kept running. But here's the kicker: She not-even-so-speedily speed walked beside me while I slogged along. That's right, folks. My 5'1" daughter can WALK as fast as I can jog. I might never call it 'running' again.

Yeah, I'm not as cool or athletic as I wish I was.

6 comments:

Swishy said...

Well, if it's any consolation, you totally make me feel better because I was DYING through my slog tonight! I just think it's awesome that you went and took your daughter!

Jenster said...

Slog!!! I love it!!!

I still think you rock!! And what a great mother/daughter time for you two.

Andrea said...

LOL! Slog! I'm stealing that one, but I promise to give you props for it!

Mom In Scrubs said...

The only time I even break into a slog anymore is if I am about to miss my bus...you've got me beat by a long ways!!

Remember the year you and Jen joined me on the track team? We would have to "slog" all the way out across the bridge, over the interstate and back? I remember you two would duck into a big field of tall grass, then wait till the team would come running back by and sneakily rejoin us!!

Chin up. You've come a long way, baby.

Travis Erwin said...

I don't even have the gumption to slog.

Monnik said...

Mom in Scrubs!! Don't be tarnishing my image here. We only did that hide in the field thing once! And I'm sure there was a good reason for wimping out - like PMS or something!