Thursday, August 9, 2007

The Post Without a Witty Title

Today is Thursday.

Today is gloomy, like it has been for the past week.

Today is August 9th, and where, oh where, did the summer go?

I was walking into work this morning by the plasma tv they have hanging across from the coffee shop. The tv is always set to Headline News or something like that. This morning, I glanced up at it to see this caption: "If you were a terrorist, how would you attack?" I actually stopped and gaped. What the? Then I heard the tv journalist say, "Send in your suggestions and we'll air them."

That doesn't seem like such a great idea to me. Now don't get me wrong, I'm sure the international big time terrorists have plenty of creativity among themselves to come up with their own plots and ideas. Clearly, they've proven that. We probably couldn't come up with something they haven't thought of. But, do we need to have this kind of discussion? I'm more worried about the ideas it might plant in the whacked out brain of an unbalanced nineteen-year-old watching the show while he's supposed to be studying for his advanced physics midterm.

Which reminds me of the scene in Real Genius where they're all studying for finals in some commons room and a guy gets up and just starts screaming and pulling at his hair. Classic. I. Love. That. Movie. Val Kilmer is absolutely delicious in that movie. Here, let me go find a picture of it just in case you haven't seen him in it:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Ok, it's kind of a dorky picture. But trust me, it's a good look for him.

Wow, that was quite a tangent. So yeah, the terrorist thing caught me off guard this morning. It just seemed wrong.

What else is new? I'm mad because TiVo screwed up and instead of recording the premiere of LA Ink, it recorded some other stupid show. (I think maybe my kids were involved in the program change, so sorry, TiVo, for blaming you. I know it's not your fault - you're the best invention of this decade.)

I had never read Nora Roberts before. But figured I should give her a shot since she cranks books out by the gazillions. It was my audiobook for the past week, what I listened to on my commute and during my runs. I enjoyed it, actually! It's not my normal style of book, but it was entertaining. Except for the swear words that made it tough to listen to while I was doing housework. "Mommy? Why did the CD player say that bad word?"

The Boy has this really interesting hobby. I love his creativity - he spends hours creating new comic book heroes and villains. Sometimes instead of a comic book, he says he's creating a new Pokemon monster or whatever. He's very talented at coming up with interesting characters. Last night he was working on them after I went to bed and he asked if he could come show them to me when he was done. I was falling asleep, and knew he'd be at it for another hour or so, and I told him to lay them out on the table and I'd write him a note about them this morning. He had some really great ones on the table! One looked like a sumo wrestler, one had wings that were designed like leaves, one looked like a robotic football player. He's just so creative with these things, it amazes me. My favorite was the football player one. :)

Well, that's enough rambling for one post. Happy Thursday, everyone!

9 comments:

krobzoo said...

I love that movie. Mostly because of him. :)

Jenster said...

Hey!! I just read my first Nora Roberts book ever! In fact, I'm on the second book in the trilogy. My husband, on the other hand, has read several. LOLOL!!! And he's very manly, too. :o)

I loved that movie! And Val was HAWT!

The terrorist thing is very disturbing. Like they don't already have enough ideas.

Mom In Scrubs said...

I've never read Nora Roberts, but I got a friend of mine who does hooked on Janet Evanovich. You should read "Metro Girl," I think you would love it...she writes a lot like you.

Ahhh, Val Kilmer.....visions of him playing sand volleyball in Top Gun...mmmmmm. Remember when we thought Ted looked like him?

Jess Riley said...

Wow, Val used to be quite the hottie! Although my personal preference is him in The Doors. Yowza!

Diesel said...

Never seen it. I've seen Weird Science though. Does that count?

karen.marree said...

Ah, the media is just ridiculous sometimes. I'm in Australia but I'm pretty sure our media models itself on the worst it can find from the US media. The shock, awe, horror of reporting is off the dial these days. Where is the happy news?

Nice Val Kilmer eye candy, i vote for Val at his hottest in The Doors Movie though :)

Jenster said...

Gotta agree with the Val/Doors comments!! Yeah, baby. I'll light your fire!

Swishy said...

Super. As if the terrorists need any help!

So speaking of summer going fast, the kids in my town start school TOMORROW! I cannot believe that! When I was a kid, I started after Labor Day!

Matt said...

i'm confused. this post's title promises to not be witty, but then it breaks that promise by being ironic and therefore witty after all. is there no post we can trust?

:)

manic sent me!