Saturday, August 18, 2007

The No Plans Weekend

This was the scene this morning:

I woke lazily to a cool, 63 degree breeze and the sound of light rain outside. It was 7:04. And, Bumblebee and The Boy were still sleeping. (Hollywood is at a slumber party.) TH and I took advantage of the moment, and drifted lazily back to sleep. We slept until 8:33 a.m.

I got up, made some coffee, and started breakfast. Because I'm on a healthy eating kick (I wonder how long this one will last...), I made oatmeal with blueberries. Not donuts. Not greasy bacon or sausage. Not something unhealthy. And guess what? My kids are RAVING over the stuff. "This is GREAT!" The Boy said. Referring to the blueberries and sauce, Bumblebee said, "I think the juice tastes the bestest." High praise for healthy food. She's on her second bowl of it now.

I'm so excited because it's now 9:15 on a Saturday afternoon and we have no plans this weekend. Well, I have plans. But they're my plans, and I don't have to drive anywhere far away to do them. Last weekend we spent 16 hours in a car to head to Fargo and back. We've been all over the place this summer, and it's nice to have a relaxing weekend planned.

Oh the possibilities... I plan to work on refinishing my table, clean the house a bit, do some laundry, take a nap or two, read a book, watch the TiVoed episode of What Not to Wear, play with the kids, finish up on school supply shopping, get some groceries, weed my flower beds, organize my filing cabinet (inspiration source for that is CMommy), and whatever else I can cram into a 'no plans' weekend. I know, it sounds like a lot to do, but I'm still stoked that I can get to these things at a fairly leisurely pace.

5 comments:

Swishy said...

That sounds wonderful, though! Like, so productive but also, like you said, at your own pace. Good for you!

Travis Erwin said...

Lazy weekends are the best. Too bad they don't come around very often, especially after you have kids.

Mom In Scrubs said...

So how did it turn out? Most of my no-plans days end up being much less productive than I plan for them to be...=)

Andrea said...

Sounds wonderful! I'm going to have to try blueberries and oatmeal. Did you use frozen or fresh?

And I'm so green with envy over you sleeping until 8:33. :)

Monnik said...

G, I actually did great! I got everything done that I wanted to, except for organizing the filing cabinets and taking a nap. It was great. :)

Andrea, I used frozen because I had them on hand, but fresh would be even better. I just made a syrupy mixture out of a TBS of butter, 1/4 c water, 1/2 a pack of frozen blueberries, and about 1/4 C sugar. It was awesome!