Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Job Interview

Those of you who read my blog regularly know that my job has its ups and downs. A few months ago I was in a 'down' trend. Currently I'm fairly happy with my job. Well, I don't like the fact that I have to answer to 'the man', but until I write a bestseller, I suppose I have to continue the corporate routine.

Since I'm fairly happy, and not ecstatic about my job, I do myself the courtesy of keeping up on what other jobs are available within Giant Ass Bank (GAB), and I occasionally check out what's going on in other similar companies in the area too. I even have a Career Builder email alert. But I never see anything that really trips my trigger.

Not long ago, a colleague of mine who left GAB to go to Company X, emailed me to say that Company X was hiring a Web Marketing person. He was nice enough to suggest to the hiring manager that I was a great candidate. I emailed my resume to my ex-co-worker, and that was that. I didn't hear much for a while, and kind of wrote it off.

Then I got a call from Diane at Company X. She called my work phone, which irritated me, because my cell phone is what's listed on my resume. Anyway, I played phone tag with her and finally got her voice mail. It said:

"Hi, this is Diane from Company X's talent and acquisition department. Please leave a message..." Talent and acquisition? Huh. Whatever happened to good old fashioned HR?

Anyway, once I got in touch with her, she said she wanted me to come in to discuss the opportunity. I took another look at the job description and agreed to the interview.

For a while, I got all puffed up and pleased with myself, thinking I rock since a company came to me for an interview, instead of me posting an application to them. Then I started to think and analyze and rethink and reanalyze. I thought it was odd that Diane didn't ask me what my salary requirement was. I thought the job looked a lot like web marketing implementation instead of strategy, which likely meant it was a lower paying job. As my friend Webgal says, 'people get paid more to think than to do.' And I'm a thinker, not a doer.

I decided to email the hiring manager about the salary. I didn't want to waste my time on an interview that wasn't going to go anywhere, and it would take a pretty hefty salary increase to get me to leave the flexibility and comfort of my current job. I wasn't surprised when he responded that my desired salary was outside of the range for that position. So I courteously canceled the interview and decided that Company X's 'Talent and Acquisition' department needs some more talent of its own. Any good HR rep would have screened an applicant before the interview. I'd have been really irritated if I'd have gone all the way out to Company X to get through the interview only to find out that my salary expectations weren't even in the range for the job.

Yeah, well. Now I'm back where I started. But I'm ok with that for now. I like the flexibility here. I mean, really... how many jobs exist where you can write blog posts at 1:30 in the afternoon?

5 comments:

Lainey-Paney said...

Yeah...the money has to be worth the change...definitely. And I agree--what kind of HR person doesn't screen the "talent"???

mcewen said...

Clever you to do your homework first!
Cheers

Swishy said...

Talent and acquistion?! RANDOM! Oh, well.

Mom In Scrubs said...

Ummm...WHO's talented? And WHAT do they acquire?

Sounds like you keep your options open, which is what I do too. I think it's only prudent.

I also am a firm believer that if I bide my time, the "right" opportunity will eventually present itself. I know, I know. It's very passive. But it's worked so far!!

And a job you can blog at is nothing to be sniffed at. My lack of blogging is directly related to my lack of opportunity at work to do same. Home life doesn't provide many blog-posting moments...

Jenster said...

Talent and Acquisition?? Never heard that one before!