Friday, August 24, 2007

A Country Music Kind of Post

I love country music. As a whole, the genre isn't known for it's technical mastery. But that's ok with me. It's the stories the songs tell that makes me love country music. My love for these stories dates back to when I was a kid. I'd spend hours listening to Kenny Rogers croon about The Coward of the County and making up dance moves while mom's record player blared Anne Murray singing Let's Keep it That Way. I can still remember where that record had a skip. "I don't want to have to tell him a lie when he gets back home. Cuz it would tear apart his fair- air-air-air-air...." Woah - I'm contemplating those lyrics right now. What an uncomfortable song that is! "Before we forget, we're not cheaters yet, let's keep it that way..." Wow. I know I didn't understand the meaning of that song way back when I was trying to jazz it up with cool dance moves in my mom's bedroom.

Sometimes country music is so cheesy that it's horrible - lots of Brad Paisley and Joe Nichols songs fall into this category. Though I love the song Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off because it has a Bon Jovi reference in it. ("Those panty hose ain't gonna last too long, if the DJ puts Bon Jovi on...")

More often than I like to admit, country music makes me cry. Like that song I've Had my Moments or whatever it's called. The song's about a vagrant who stops a young man from jumping off of a bridge. Or Kenny Chesney's There Goes my Life, a song about unplanned pregnancy turning out to be a wonderful gift, which hits close to home for me, and makes me weep when I hear it. Or the one about the little girl who doesn't know Jesus' name but she knows who he is because he was there with her the night her dad shot her mom and himself... Know that one? It's a tearjerker!! There are more of these songs that make me cry, but I won't embarrass myself further. I'm an emotional train wreck. I cry a lot.

There are also a ton of country songs about people counting their blessings. Songs like I'm a Lucky Man, Who Wouldn't Want to be Me (my very favorite Keith Urban song), and In A Real Love tell a story about being happy with what they have, even if they're not living high on the hog.

Totally off track here, but that dorky 'high on the hog' statement made me think of something that's been bugging me for years. In the movie Sweet Home Alabama, Reese Witherspoon's mom says to Reese's New York fiance: "If I'd have known you were coming, I'd have put on the dog..." What in the world does 'put on the dog' mean??? If anyone knows, I'd appreciate an explanation.

Back to the counting your blessings country music style train of thought... I really appreciate songs that are upbeat and remind me that I have a lot of blessings. I decided it would be a great idea to write a list of things that I'm thankful for at this very moment. So here goes:

  • I got an awesome back rub from TH last night. He might not have thought to ask me about my job interview, but he does give one hell of a back rub.
  • It's Friday!
  • My nephews are coming over tonight!
  • We have another easy weekend planned.
  • Our fantasy football league draft is on Sunday. Look out league - the Dino Mamas are going to win it all this year!
  • Football season is almost here! Go Packers.
  • Regular tv season is almost here - no more reruns!!
  • The Boy and Hollywood seem to be enjoying their first week of school.
  • Bumblebee cleaned her room last night - with a lot of help from Hollywood. Now I can walk into it at night without the lights on and not fear for my life.
  • There is only one hour and forty-six minutes left of my work day.
What are some of your blessings? I'd love to hear them!


9 comments:

Andrea said...

The tearjerker part is why I don't listen to country music stations. I like some country songs and know several of the older ones by heart. I just don't like driving along, rocking out (can you rock out to country?) to the radio, then suddenly be depressed because the song that came on after the rock-out song pulls and tugs on the scars left behind by heartaches long passed. The emotional rollercoaster ride is just too much.

I listen to a lot of "Oldies" like The Beatles, Aretha Franklin, The Birds, etc., because even most of the depressing songs have a happy beat.

I'm thankful it's Friday, but I still have 2 1/2 hrs left and don't want to work. So I'm goofing off. Have a wonderful weekend!

Cmommy said...

I became a country music fan when I heard Tim McGraw singing "When I See You Smile". The sun was shining, my car window was rolled down and summer was fine. If CMT would play more videos and less "shows", I might have a better knowledge of who's who now. Of course, I'm pretty stuck on Mr. Urban! :-) (MMM, "Raining On Sunday" wins for best video)

Jenster said...

You might be too young, but when I was little there was a country song that said, "Daddy don't you walk so fast," and "Daddy slow down some, 'cause you're making me run," and it's about a man who's leaving his family. I was only about 5 or 6 when this song was popular and it made me cry then!

I'm thankful for my health (yes - my HEALTH!), the fun I have with my kids, my silly husband, my friend who just came over for a visit 'cause she missed me, a really comfy bed and a garden tub with jets - in no particular order. lol

Mom In Scrubs said...

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/12/messages/415.html

There's a link that will explain "put on the dog"

I've never gotten into country. Probably because it requires too much thinking and emotional investment. There are some songs I like, but generally I steer clear!

Mel said...

From Ken Blose: “While serving as a tour guide at a museum, an English lady told me that, in the days of castles, the very finest shoes were made of dog skin. So if you were invited to the castle for a party or event, you would dress in your finest, and for shoes, you would put on the dog, meaning shoes made of dog skin!”

yikes! shoes made of dog?? that's just awful.

when i was a kid, my mom wore out the 'Gambler' and the 'Lets Keep it That Way' tapes in the car. i can sing any anne murray song for you. in fact, my BF once said that if we got married, he wanted out first dance to be to "Can i have this dance, for the rest of my life" .... awwww! :)

Mom In Scrubs said...

The dogskin theory, is well-propagated, but probably just an old "urban legend...;" see below:

"A more popular gaffe is "putting on the dog," which the booklet says came from a colonial custom of making shoes or gloves out of dog skin. That sounds like a fascinating fact from our pre-Revolutionary past, but research in sources like the Oxford English Dictionary shows the expression is no older than the 1860s and probably traces to wealthy people with lapdogs. An 1871 reminiscence titled Four Years at Yale demonstrates that the phrase had become college slang by that time. The book says: "To put on dog is to make a flashy display, to cut a swell."' from James Breig; 'Puttin on the Dog: Adventures in the Idioms of our Mother Tongue;' The Colonial Williamsburg Journal, Summer 2002 issue.

Swishy said...

I am sooo excited for TV season too, as you know! I cannot wait!

Mom In Scrubs said...

Oh, and my thankful list: (AKA what I thank God for every night with my kids at prayers)

Good health, family, being kept safe from harm every day, all my friends

Plato's thankful list: "Everyone and Everything except Bullies and Scary Things and Harmful Bugs."

Lulu's thankful list: "Nuffin'"

Monnik said...

Mel, that's sweet of your BF. It's funny how songs from when you were a kid make you feel all squishy and warm inside.

cmommy, I've never seen the Raining on Sunday video, but I love, love, love the song, so I might have to search for it.

jenster, you have awesome things to be thankful for! How's Todd's blog going? I'll have to check it out later tonight.

scrubmom, too much thinking?! country music? I'd say your NIckelback is more of a thinking man's kind of music, actually. :) Love the critters' thankful list. nuffin. ha!