Thursday, July 12, 2007

Please Play "Pomp and Circumstance"

Drum roll please.....

I started the Couch to 5K Program in April. It's a nine week program designed to get non runners fit enough to run a 5K. I repeated three of the weeks and took a week off so it actually took me closer to 13 weeks, but today I finished the final workout of the program.

I can now run for 30 solid minutes without stopping, although I 'run' pretty slow. It's really a slow jog. But still. It's not walking. Those of you who know me are likely amazed. When I started, I was gasping for air after jogging for sixty seconds!

It's actually a really awesome feeling. What's more amazing is that I've been getting up in the mornings at 5 a.m. to do it! My plan is to continue working on improving my speed, entering the Komen 5K run in October with Hollywood, and eventually working up through another program called the One Hour Runner.

Anyway, had to have a "Yay Me!" moment.

6 comments:

WebGal said...

Congratulations! That's awesome!

Jess Riley said...

Couch to 5K program...I need to look into this.

And congrats to you for going through the program!

mcewen said...

Good for you ! More power to you.
Best wishes

Andrea said...

Congratulations! You're a better woman than I! I simply cannot imagine getting up at 5 AM to run. When I get up at 5 AM to nurse, I try not to look at the clock so that I don't have to admit I saw that time of day. :)

Jenster said...

You're totally my hero!! I walked the Koman 5K for about five years in a row, but haven't been able to for the last two years due to breast cancer treatments. How ironic is that???

Oh well. NEXT year I'll walk it again and maybe even the three day. But it's cooler than cool that you're going to run a 5K!!

Manic Mom said...

Yay You!