Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Stage Fright

My dad is getting married on June 30th. He asked me to play the flute in his wedding. It's a sweet gesture, you know, his belief that I could still actually play the flute. He gives me more credit than I deserve. Seriously. Does he remember that I was second to last chair in band? Does he know that I sucked at playing the flute and only stayed in band for the trip to Mexico my junior year? Being the chicken that I am, I suggested (threatened, coerced, bribed) that Hollywood do a duet with me. We agreed to this a while ago, and I have procrastinated long enough. I finally did some searching for a good song and suggested that we do the song "Bless the Broken Road" by Rascall Flatts. It's a beautiful song, and totally fitting of a second marriage for both bride and groom.

The problem? We haven't practiced. I'm ordering the sheet music today. Can't find one specifically for a flute duet, so either we'll improvise and make our own duet, or Hollywood might play her guitar while I do the melody on the flute. GULP. I'd hoped to play the secondary part and let her be in the limelight, since she's been playing the flute for three years, and I haven't played since I was seventeen. Yeah, that means I'm seventeen years out of practice. (Hey, it can't be that many years, can it? That is so uncool!) Her guitar is way cooler than the flute anyway, so hopefully she'll play it loud and it'll carry the song.

It's a casual wedding, an outdoor shindig with a picnic afterwards. If I screw up, nobody will care, but still... I haven't played my flute in a gazillion years, and I'm freaked out. At least nobody's making me sing, right?

4 comments:

WebGal said...

Wow...you're brave. I think about the only thing I can still play on the flute (besides the scale) is "We Got the Beat".

Swishy said...

Oh! How fun. You'll do awesome.

Mom In Scrubs said...

Good Luck. I got my clarinet out a few years ago figuring that playing it would be like riding a bike...

In retrospect, I'm not sure what I was smoking when I had that thought? I couldn't even blow a note!! Maybe I had an old crummy reed...yeah, that's it.

Bless you for even trying. Your dad's wedding is a wonderful reason to saddle up and put yourself "out there!" Your dad will love the sentimental tribute, regardless of the quality of the music.

krobzoo said...

OMG - I cannot believe you are going to do that. I was last chair, as I am sure you remember. I was so last chair, I should have been in the next room!
You will do great though, I am sure. You are always amazingly creative and try things I never would. :)