Tuesday, June 19, 2007

No Mini-Mes for Me

Well, I did it. I broke down and got Hollywood a cell phone. I swore I'd wait until she was driving, but the convenience-factor and the fact that she's spending three weeks (3 WEEKS!!!) at her grandpa's house in Nebraska this summer forced me to bite the bullet and get a phone.

It seems kind of like a rite of passage of some sort. I mean, I know a lot of crazy parents get their young kids cell phones, but to me it seems like such a grownup thing to have! But with all of her softball practices, games, and other activities going on, I really did need a way to get in touch with her.

It's really just another reminder of how she's turning into a young lady. Lately I've found myself drifting into a reverie when I watch doing her normal things. When she plays softball, interacts with her friends, plays with her sister, and the rare occasion when she helps her brother with something - my mind drifts into thoughts on how she is just really growing into a wonderful person. I'm amazed because she's so much her own being. I'm not sure what I expected having children would be like, but maybe I thought my kids would be mini-mes or mini-THs. They aren't - it's amazing! They're totally their own people, and Hollywood shows me each day how amazing she's turning out. I'd like to take credit for it, but Hollywood has had her own personality and will since she was about 3 weeks old, so it's all her!

Anyway, this probably shouldn't be so astonishing to me. But I do find myself stopping and thinking how great she is every once in a while. And then she mouths off to me and we're back to the 'normal' mother-daughter feelings.

2 comments:

Jenster said...

LOL!! First of all, I fought the cell phone thing for a while because I kept thinking it was an adult thing. But I finally relented (we got a deal) and now both kids have one. I don't know how we dealt before!

And leave it to a kid to bring you down from your high. LOL She sounds like a great kid and you're a great mom!

Prairie Chicken said...

I remember reading Kahlil Gibran years ago, and the line "Your children are not of you but through you" has always stuck with me. The joy is that they have all turned out to be their own individual selves, and each is uniquely wonderful--good thing I didn't have to plan them--I could never have been so creative, imaginative and brilliant as to come up with the combinations of things they are. Still, ... I like to think I might have had a little something to do with it.