Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Two Days To Go...

I can tell this is going to be another rambly post. So don't say I didn't warn you...

I'm starting to freak out. We're leaving on vacation in TWO days. There is still so much to do. Laundry, housework, packing, arrangements, buying wedding gifts, coordinating things with my brothers, etc. This weekend I took the kids to the library and we checked out about a gazillion items - books and CDs for the kids, and those books with cassette tapes for Bumblebee. We didn't have a portable tape player, so I went to Wal-Mart and bought a walkman for $5. FIVE BUCKS! Amazing how old technology drops in price. Anyway, I've got a mini medicine cabinet packed and ready, a snack container packed, toys for the kids, pool toys, coloring toys, DVDs, the DVD player, blah, blah, blah. I wonder if it will all fit in the van.

We're driving to Buffalo. It's 830 miles from here, according to google, and will likely take 14-15 hours. We're driving straight through on the way there, and are breaking up the trip on the way back. My Dad is getting married there - his fiancee is from Buffalo and her kids live there. I'm excited to meet them and am looking forward to the wedding. We're headed to Niagara Falls after the wedding, then we're off to Canton, OH to go to the NFL Hall of Fame, and we're wrapping up our trip by staying for a few days at a Great Wolf Lodge in Sandusky, OH - they have an indoor water park and fun stuff for the kids, so that part will be really cool. Then we drive home and go to TH's hometown for his brother's rehearsal dinner and wedding next weekend. Busy, busy...

So those of you who know me are probably sick of me yapping about my running program, but I have to talk some more about it. I'm doing the "Couch to 5K" training program from Coolrunning.com. You can check the program out here. I'm on week seven out of nine. I had to repeat weeks when I didn't feel like I could comfortably go to the next week, and I took a week off once. So I've been doing this for longer than seven weeks, but you get the point. What amazes me is that I can run solid 25 minutes now. I've started to get up EARLY to do the running too, which is very out of character for me. Incredibly, last night, I found myself looking forward to my morning run!

I listen to books on CD during my commute into work. The book I'm 'reading' now is amazing. So amazing that I missed my exit off the interstate TWICE last week (and one day I actually missed two exits and had to turn around ten miles down the road!) because I was so intently listening to the book, I wasn't watching where I was going. Yeah, I know... that's kind of scary... Anyway, I started uploading 40 minutes of the book on tape that I'm listening to for my morning run, and it makes the run even more enjoyable. Good stuff. Oh, and the book I'm reading is Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. Amazing, awesome, can't say enough about it. I'll write a book review for it if I think about it later.

So I've been running, yay me. But I've also been eating junk. Boo. I still throw the healthy stuff in there - like veggies, and those delectable sweet cherries that are in season right now. But, I've fallen off my weight watchers plan. I've gained 1.5 pounds in a month, instead of losing. Don't tell me it's muscle. I know it's not. It's fat. I've eaten more calories than I've burned. You'd think that jogging would help you lose weight, right? Well, not when you eat more calories to make up for it. I really need to get out of that 'Well, I jogged 2.5 miles this morning, so I can eat a cheeseburger for lunch' mentality. So I really need to turn this around. But on our trip, we'll be eating out every single meal. My challenge is to eat as healthily as I can while away, to get at least two runs in somehow, and get back into the weight watchers saddle when I return. We'll see how successful I am at that...

Hollywood got mouthy last night and lost her cell phone. I was dumb and forgot to turn the damned thing off when I went to bed, and I'd stashed it on my side table. The stupid thing rang at 10 p.m. as I was trying to fall asleep, and her ringer was LOUD!

The Boy was up at 6 a.m. this morning. He was up and playing with his Bionicles when I got out of the shower. "What are you doing up? It's 6 a.m.?!" I asked him. He shrugged and said he wasn't tired anymore. He asked what I thought he should make with his Bionicles and I said a spider. He thought that sounded like a good idea and started on making one. By the time I left for work at 6:30, he had a pretty cool looking monster/spider underway.

Bumblebee has been going through a 'naughty' phase. She is really testing the limits lately. Things like ignoring me when I tell her not to do something, making me say it two or three times before she'll listen... And then she'll look at me in defiance and do whatever it was I told her not to do. She's been spending a lot of time in her bedroom lately. She's got this little manipulation thing down pat, though. She'll know she's in trouble, and she'll cry or pout, and then she'll look at me with huge, solemn eyes and ask, "Do you still love me?" The first time she did that it was like a dagger to the heart, but now she's milked it for all it's worth, and it doesn't even make me bat an eye. "Yes, Bumblebee. I will always love you. But you need to behave."

I have so much to do for work, and yet here I sit, writing a post to my blog. That's just plain stupidity, and procrastination. I will pay the price for it, I'm sure.

I told my boss that I'm not bringing my laptop with me on vacation, and I will not answer any pages that are sent to my phone. And I mean it! I'm going to take ELEVEN days away from this place!!

And I guess, since I'm on that train of thought right now anyway, I should begin work for the day. After all, I've been in the office for an hour and a half already and haven't done much more than read a few blogs, and answer a few emails...

4 comments:

Mom In Scrubs said...

Sounds like a great vacation! I think pagers and laptops should be illegal on vacation, but I suppose the work piles up when you are gone. At my job, the work gets done if I am not here, which makes vaca more "vacation-ey."

Are you going to Cedar Point? It's my goal to go there someday, without the kids. Roller Coaster Heaven...

Lulu is going through a naughty phase (again). Bumblebee sounds exactly like her, right down to the playing-cute part. Exasperating, yet strangely adorable.

Have a great Vacation!!

WebGal said...

I don't think I'd be able to be away from a computer that long. Work, yes, not a problem, but not my beloved laptop.

Yes, I realize just how sad that is.

krobzoo said...

I agree with webgal, I need the internet and email. Not work though.
Have fun on your trip and drive safely.
We need to do something when you get back. Lunch, drinks, it's been too long.

Monnik said...

TH is bringing his laptop, so we'll have access to email and the internet. :)

G, we might be going to Cedar Point for the 4th of July, but it'll depend on how wiped out we are by then. They are having a big 4th celebration and fireworks show, so that's probably what we'll end up doing. I'm exhausted already... :)