Monday, May 7, 2007

You Learn Something New Every Day

This morning I was reading a blog by Maeve Binchy, an author I enjoy, and she decided to write down something new that she learned each day. I won't remember to do this every day, but I thought it was a good thing to incorporate into my blog.

It's early on Monday, but I have already learned something: George Washington was a badass! I'm listening to the book "1776" in the car on my commute into the office. Today's portion talked of when the British took New York. During this campaign, there was a battle in which a couple thousand American troops got spooked by a few hundred British troops and fled into the nearby woods and cornfields. Washington was so incensed by this behavior that he galloped right down to the battlefield and was said to flog a few of the officers with his riding gear. He was pissed off! He was in such a rage, that he wouldn't leave, and was within 100 yards of the enemy lines. He had to be forcibly pulled off the battlefield by a few of his servants.

Not the image you have in your head when you think of George Washington, is it? I love it!

And that's what I learned today.

3 comments:

WebGal said...

Wow...now I learned something new!

Jenster said...

I have that book on my shelf waiting to be read by me. I bought it before we moved to the Philadelphia area (really just outside of Valley Forge) and thought it would be interesting reading considering our location.

My husband read it and I'm thinking he used the same term to desribe Washington. Yeah. I'm pretty sure he said bad ass, too. lol

Mom In Scrubs said...

I really believe in that learning something new each day idea. Learning is what keeps me going.