Thursday, May 17, 2007

Jogging

I'm becoming a runner (well, technically, a slow jogger, but 'runner' sounds better). For those of you who know me, I'm sure you're skeptical. But, really, I'm doing pretty well for a 34 year old woman with absolutely no athletic ability.

Here's the scary part: I actually like to jog! I like pushing myself to see how far I can go before I wimp out. I'm still pretty slow, and can only jog continuously for about 16 minutes. But when I started about 6 weeks ago, a 400 meter jog was near impossible. My goal is to run the 5K Race for a Cure in October. I've had that goal a few times before and failed miserably. Not this year!!

Here are some things I'm finding that are pretty cool:

  • I'm learning that as I increase my endurance and overall fitness, I can still breathe comfortably while jogging. Through my nose even!
  • I can talk while jogging now!
  • I sweat like crazy, which is interesting because I never used to sweat that much when I worked out. (I think I wasn't working out enough)
  • My legs are never sore after running anymore. But I do my running on a treadmill, I expect that I'll have joint pain when I get the guts up to start running outside.
  • My iPod is the best thing ever. I have a workout playlist that I've timed to be the same length of my workout, so the upbeat songs really help me push it just a little bit farther.
My favorite workout song? It's dorky, but I absolutely love it. It's I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) by The Proclaimers. You all can make fun of me like The Husband does, but I stand firm in my affection for that song.

"I would walk 500 miles and I would walk 500 more, just to be the man who walks a thousand miles to fall down at your door...."

7 comments:

Manic Mom said...

My fave song to run/jog to is, hmmm, let's see...

Snap, or I will attack and you don't want that!

Also, Kelly Clarkston Since You've Been Gone extended remix. Some others, but I won't bore you with them.

Mom In Scrubs said...

I love that song, it's one of my alltime favorites.

It reminds me of Benny and Joon.

Kudos to you for jogging. I will never run again - they don't make jogbras for people like me and I don't like it anyway. Give me a core fitness ball or a yoga video any day!

Swishy said...

OK, I am TRYING that, but having a hard time because I really hate running. But I DO want to do a 5K, just to say I did. What are your other songs?

Monnik said...

swishy, have you been to cool running's website? they have a program called couch to 5K that is totally doable. As for my songs, they're kind of eclectic:

Crash, Gwen Stefani
Hollaback Girl, Gwen Stefani
Mr. Brightside, the Killers
Epic Faith No more
Mental Breakdown, Faith No More
A couple of Fergie/Black Eyed Peas songs
Harder to Breathe, Maroon 5
The Sign, Ace of Base (cheesy one)
American Idiot, Green Day
and, there are a few more, but I can't remember them... :)

Monnik said...

oh, and i have Animals by Nickelback too! That's a GREAT one to run to

Swishy said...

OMG, I just read in People magazine (the people who lost, like, 100 pounds) about that program, too! OK, I'm totally doing it. And I'll use some of your songs, too! Thank you!

Monnik said...

swishy, I'll bet you really want to get that Nickelback song of mine queued up on your iPod, don'tcha?