Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Is "Please" Dead?

Warning: I've had several really shitty and stressful days at work lately, so this post could will turn into a bitchfest.

Whatever happened to people saying 'please' when they ask you to do something for them? Is the act of saying the word 'please' outdated? Am I hopelessly old fashioned when I force my children to say 'please' and 'thank you' whenever it's warranted?

I've had four requests come through my desk today. Of course they were 'URGENT' - the clients can't wait! Here's a little background: I work for a giant bank, in their retail financing department. You know the drill: "Shop today, and make no payments until 2050 on all big screen tv purchases!!!!" We do the financing for those businesses. With the help of my designer Webgal I create online applications for clients so that their customers can apply online. Some of our clients are very large retailers who deserve the respect and 'yes sir, right away sir' responses. But they're usually not the ones who demand overnight turnaround. It's the small guys, who have two people a month apply for credit on their site who get all ticked off about how quickly we can send them the URLs. These clients get all snippy with their sales reps, and demand that they get the link TODAY so that they can place it on their website. And then the sales reps get all pissy with me, and DON'T SAY 'PLEASE' WHEN THEY DEMAND THAT I SEND THE EFFING LINK OUT THAT VERY SECOND!

It's not like I don't have better things to do! (Like write a lengthy blog post instead!)

But it does make me wonder, why wouldn't they ask nicely or say 'please'? Didn't their mother ever tell them that sugar attracts flies better than vinegar like mine did? Or something like that, maybe I got that little saying completely wrong... Now that I think about it, why would anyone want to attract flies? Doesn't matter - the gist is that you get what you want better by being nice than by being a bitch. I had a sales rep stomp her foot because she was told that I got the setup information on Friday, and why hadn't I created the application by now?!? (We have a two week turnaround time.) She seriously stomped her foot! WTF?

Little kids say please. Last night at Hollywood's band concert, a little girl played with Bumblebee's toys the entire time. She was only two years old, but she asked if she could play too. And she said please. So why can't an educated, professional person in the workplace do the same?

The sales rep who stomped her foot at me isn't getting her link until next Friday. Right at the end of my two week turnaround time. Even though I could do it today. But I choose not to because she acted like a child. No, scratch that. She acted worse than a child! A child would have behaved better!

Whew. Rant over. I feel better, but I'm a little out of breath! If you made it this far in the post, you must be really, really bored.

3 comments:

Mom In Scrubs said...

AMEN and HALLELUJIA!! My kids are unfailingly polite, as I was expected to be. I wonder the same thing: did these inconsiderate jerks' parents just not teach them or do they think it's something you grow out of?
I have actually told patients (usually when I can't stand it anymore): "You know, when my 2 and 5 year old ask for something, I make them say 'please.'"
It might seem harsh, but it makes most people stop and take a look at themselves, if only briefly.

Monnik said...

I love that, G. I'm totally going to use that the next time the foot-stomping sales gal asks me for something.

She told me my hair was cute today too. That irritated me almost as bad as the foot stomping.

Mom In Scrubs said...

"Cute" is a dirty word. Unless it references a child.