Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day

Mom:
I couldn't ask for a smarter, more accomplished, and understanding mom. My whole life, people have been telling me how amazing my mom is. I agree with them, but I think she's amazing for different reasons. When I was twenty, and an unmarried sophomore in college, I made a phone call to her to tell her that I was going to have a baby. She could have reacted with disappointment - I'm sure it's not what she dreamed of for me. She could have reacted with anger or disdain for my poor decisions. She could have acted with indifference, distancing herself from my lapses in judgment. Instead, she responded with love, understanding, and a calm knowledge that I would make a good mom, young and penniless though I was. Her faith in my ability to have and raise Hollywood will never be forgotten. She's always believed in me, and that means the world to me. She gave me her love of reading, learning, and experiencing new things. She taught me by example that if you want something, and are willing to put in the work to achieve it, it can be yours. Mom makes the best lemon bars in the world, and taught me that you don't need a measuring cup to make good food. Not long ago, Mom watched the kids when the power in her house went out. They spent time reading books, playing twenty questions, and telling stories. The kids still talk about how they had a great time that night. In an age of too much tv, computer, and X-Box, that means a lot, and I love that they are getting those kinds of memories with her. Thanks, mom. You're the best, and I love you.

* * * * *
Mother-in-law:
I have to also give a shout out to The Husband's mom. I'm so lucky to have a wonderful mother-in-law. She's always willing to help out when we need her, and she's been a good friend and confidant to me throughout the years. I envy that she's one of those women who never has a hair out of place, and always looks like a million bucks. She's an awesome grandma, the kids adore her, and I love that they get to see her as often as they do. But most of all, I appreciate the support, advice, and understanding she's given to me over the years. I know the value of my relationship with her, and am ever thankful for it.

* * * * *
Step-mom:
In just a few short weeks, I'll be getting a step-mom. My dad is getting married to a wonderful woman who makes him happier than I've ever seen him. To MJ, I appreciate what you've given to my Dad. I am so thankful of your sacrifice to move here for him, especially when it means you're hundreds and hundreds of miles away from your kids and granddaughter. Seeing Dad as happy as he's been these past few years is amazing, and we owe that to your love. Congratulations on the upcoming wedding, and welcome to the family!

* * * * *

And to all of the moms out there: Happy Mother's Day, I hope you had a great day like I did! I spent the day being pampered by my kids. The Boy gave me breakfast in bed (Golden Grahams), and they each made me cards. Hollywood got three forget-me-not plants from the school greenhouse and had The Boy and Bumblebee write their names on the styrofoam cups they were planted in. The Husband got me a great card and had new tires put on my van (I know, it's not a sexy Mother's Day present, but it's what I asked for... I HATE taking the van in for service, so it's really a great gift!) My MIL came over for dinner, and TH grilled steaks for us. The weather was perfect and I even had a few hours of luxurious lounging outside with a good book. It was a wonderful day! (Too bad tomorrow is Monday. Ugh.)

1 comment:

Mom In Scrubs said...

What a great post. I think we should all thank our moms and mom-figures while we can, you never know if you will get the chance later.

Glad you had a great mother's day! I spent most of the weekend sick (again, ugh!).

From one mom to another - pat yourself on the back and give yourself a hug! What great moms we are!