Monday, April 23, 2007

A Bedtime Poem

Honey hair, silken waves
She wiggles in closer and tells me I smell good
But it is she who smells like clean laundry and baby sweat.

Little hands, patting my shoulder
Getting in another snuggle before sleep brings it to an end
Let's nose-wiggle, she says with a smile.

Defiant frown, pouty lips
Please read me another story, she begs
Though she's already listened to three.

Warm body, tiny backbone
Lay with me just a little bit longer, Mommy
And so I do, while rubbing her back.

Honey hair, silken waves
Spread out on her butterfly pillow
As she makes her way to the land of dreams.

Good night, my baby.

7 comments:

Mom In Scrubs said...

I have tears in my eyes, I love this!
I have a poem about Trent falling asleep on my shoulder, I should put it on mine. There's just something about that precious bedtime...

Monnik said...

Except for an occasional jokey haiku, I haven't written a poem since 7th grade. So, it's a shot at branching out... :)

Do, post your poem. I want to see it!

Prairie Chicken said...

I'm grabbing this to share with my mother. She will identify and enjoy.

Prairie Chicken said...

I'm grabbing this to share if you don't mind. It's lovely. My mother will identify with it.

Prairie Chicken said...

Sorry--this is very confusing with a screen reader and I ended up repeating myself.

Manic Mom said...

Beautiful poem... love especially the last lines.

The Cundick 5 said...

I stumbled across your blog today, you and I have a lot in common. I am a stay at home mom to 3 boys; 8, 6 and 2 we live in Sandy, UT. My husband travels to California for work during the week and is only home Saturday and Sunday. I sometimes wonder how I manage and was looking for a "frantic mom" poem to post on my blog...today is one of those days. Thanks for your "ramblings" you are talented and it put things all back into perspective.